Tuesday, April 06, 2004

letting go

My practice these days is letting go.  It's been a theme for the past couple months and it's taught me some invaluable lessons.  I'm learning how letting go of somethings actually brings you closer to them. 

The more I let go, the more that comes to me.  It's like the idea that by giving things away, you'll never be in need.  Same thing.  And it seems to be working.  I have all these amazing people in my life and I am experiencing this reciprocity of learning - teaching and being taught.  And when I release expectation, the experience opens more and more to me.

My yoga teacher (who rocks my world) was talking tonight about love and compassion and how she has had to learn to be excited and happy for her students when they achieve things that even she has not achieved yet - and how it lifts her higher to be in a space of truly supporting others for their successes.  This is very true for me recently.  I've had to learn how to really appreciate and cherish the success of my friends and their happiness (regardless of the jealousy and other surface emotions that may arise) and through this appreciation, I become so much more free and alive.  I gain from their gains.  It's a mysterious and marvelous thing.

No comments: