Tuesday, March 01, 2005

random notes

We have a cat in our house now - her name is Newt and she belongs to Robin. Newt is a good cat all around, though she has her moments.

I only bring it up because I've noticed something funny about her which is true for other cats I've lived with. If you pick her up when she is good and/or wants attention, she'll just walk off when you put her down ... or linger for more attention.

If you pick her up with the same gentleness, yet when she has done something wrong, when you put her down she stops to lick her body as if to say, "how dare you touch me, heathen, your vile touch has soiled me"!

cats.

and why is it that all they want to do is go exactly where you don't want them to and mess with the only thing that is fragile?

this is why i like dogs. dogs are not pretentious .... dumb, maybe, but not pretentious.

***
On another note, class was cancelled today and tomorrow because our professor's wife went into premature labor. Everyone is doing fine.

He just sent us pictures of the baby. That's just cool. I don't think I've ever had a teacher who was like, "I just wanted everyone to see my new baby - here are some photos post-birth".

That's the difference between grad school and all other school. Your teachers are your friends and colleagues. I like it.

1 comment:

juli claire said...

I've not noticed this cleaning off the soil of human contact in cats before. I'll have to watch Reggie to see if he does it too. He is so easy-going, I doubt if he would bother. I love cats' ironic, contrarian behavior. Makes it more rewarding when they decide your lap is a worthy bed, or your hands a worthy scratching post. It took me a long time to appreciate it though. Watching Raelin continue to harrass and chase Reggie and Jasmine, no matter how many times her parents or I point out the animals don't like it and they only like to hang around when they're treated nicely and mostly left alone, is a very strong memory tug for my own toddler plus obsession with the furry creatures that eluded my rambunctiousness. (I think that's the first time I've used that word in a sentence.)