Thursday, July 28, 2005

So long WFN

Today is my last day at the Women's Funding Network. I've been here two and a half years and I'm both glad to be leaving and a little sad too. I realized today how great the people I work with are - innovative, creative, intellegent, dedicated, fun, young-at-heart. This is not to say that I haven't been so frustrated at times that I nearly walked out and never came back … but as I said in my farewell email … understanding the scope of what this organization has done for women and girls' philanthropy has made it all worth it. The work that is done here is truly remarkable.

My co-workers (14 women) often wonder how I have made it for so long as the only guy. I never really thought about it all that much. The only side affect that I can see is getting lured into conversations about Hollywood gossip. I don't really care if Brad had an affair with Angelina. All I care about is if I lost my chance with Angelina!

So will I miss it? Yes and No. I look forward to a new job with new challenges. I was feeling pretty stagnant here. There were some projects I loved working on and some that were difficult to put all of my ability into. I do feel, however, that I gave more than what was asked of me on a regular enough basis to compensate for those days where it was difficult to care.

I will miss the people here. It has become a fun place to work lately with laughter, open conversations and practical jokes and I will miss all of that. I think it's probably rare to find a place where you feel happy going to sit and talk with just about anyone in the office.

No comments: