Sunday, January 30, 2005

Must ... wear ... pants ...

Wow. I'm home. It's cold here. I have to wear pants ... that sucks. But I had my first hot shower in 2 weeks, so that's kinda nice.

The time accordian is playing her tricks on me again. When in Costa Rica, it felt like I had been there forever and a day. Now that I am home, it feels like I never left (except for the 450 emails in my inbox and the stack of bills to pay!). I'm not quite sure why that happens, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the familiarity of home.

It's good to be back, though I am feeling a tiny bit of culture shock. I mean I just went from a world where I had no idea what day or time it was to a home with multiple responsibilities and deadlines; from wearing board shorts and sandals to coats and winter hats; from knowing nothing about world events to being innundated with the American Fear Obsession ... it's a bit much. I liked moving at a slower pace.

The great thing about this vacation (besides the relaxing) is that I feel more open than I did when I left. I feel like I have a larger capacity to deal with people and different situations. I think it comes from being in a place where meeting new people is the norm and it's so easy to accept new people in to your life. I also embraced the culture which is very much about taking your time and not worrying too much about anything. I can feel the difference here in the air. The city, though full of amazing and creative people, has a tension about it which I know will envelop me if I do not remain aware and conscious of maintaining the pace I want for my life.

I'm definitely also feeling a bit anti-social and tired. I'm not entirely sure why that is yet, but I feel like nesting a bit and hiding out. It kind of feels like I've been a different person for the past couple weeks and have to get used to my old skin again. This probably isn't making much sense because I'm not sure why I'm feeling so out of sorts. Suffice it to say, it's taking a little bit of transition to be home which surprises me because I wasn't gone very long.

I am looking forward to beginning a new exercise regiment next week. My friend J and I are going to start going to the gym 3 days a week and, though there will be days when I hate getting out of bed to do it, I know I am going to love how it makes me feel and the results on my health and physical strength.

My bed is actually calling out to me right now ... "J a s o n .... J a s o n ...." and you don't know how impossible it is to ignore that bed. She actually lured me into a 2 hour nap in the sun this afternoon. I was powerless against her mysterious ways. And now I shall heed her call ... because bed is one of those few places back home where I don't have to wear pants!

No comments: