Thursday, October 07, 2004

coming up roses?

Life is good right now. Amazing how things shift from time to time. A little over a week ago, I was in a funk that had been lurking for awhile. I didn’t even really know how much it was affecting me until I came out of it. I swear sometimes I’m manic-depressive (except being lazy, I’m never really manic nor really depressed!) … basically, it’s interesting to watch the way I can move from one mood to another in minutes sometimes and how it may or may not be based on anything.

I’m guessing that’s just part of this unpredictable life.

What’s coming up lately is an understanding of faith. Not necessarily religious faith (which, it seems, is how many people read that word) … no, faith in terms of just trusting that what needs to happen will happen.

A few weeks ago, while I was on my two week camping trip, I spent some time writing down what it is I want in a long term partner (i.e. the woman I want to marry and/or spend the rest of my life with) and how I want to be with that person. I put it all on paper and put it out to the universe saying that the universe had a year to provide. I put it away and didn’t think about it much after that.

About 8 months ago, shortly after moving out of the home Madhavi and I created together (my ex-girlfriend of 3+ years), I created profiles on Nerve.com and Tribe (already had one on Friendster) for dating, activity partners, etc – mostly in an effort to meet some people outside my circle. I’m fortunate enough to have a big community of friends, but, at the time, I was feeling the need to meet people with different histories and lifestyles.

I only ever contacted one person and we went out a couple times, but that was about it. Since then, the profiles have remained dormant – though I go on the sites from time to time to see what people are up to.

I was telling a friend tonight that in this past week, I’ve had 4 responses to my profiles. And then I come home from that conversation and there’s a 5th.

What the hell is going on? These profiles have been around for 8 months and now, in the past 7 days, I get 5 responses!!?? I can only attribute this to random chance and/or the universe starting to get to work on my request.

Regardless, I’m not complaining. I may not be attracted to all of the women who contacted me, but I’m utterly flattered that they did. Of course, now that I am in grad school, I hardly have time for the friends that I already want to see … this, of course, is the universe laughing at me saying “Of course, I’ll provide you with what you want, but I’m not going to make it easy for you!!”

***

Okay, this is crazy. As I am writing this, I went and checked my email and theres ANOTHER person responding to me! Am I on some “profile of the day list or something??”

I’m going to bed before … before I don’t even know! I’m so confused right now!

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Hey Jason! You know how they have the Employee of the Month at McDonalds? Well, maybe you're the Bachelor of the Month! LOL! ;-)

So, did you get the half-pie you were waiting for the other day? Or did you get tired of waiting and ate all yours?

jason s said...

I'd much rather be bachelor of the year, thank you!

And yes ... the great pie-capade happened and the peach brigade swapped places with the apple corp.

The peach/blackberry was a little richer than the apple/blackberry, but I liked the tartness of the apple. They were both really damn good!! And now it is all gone. I was thinking of making another one this weekend, but I think I'm just going to bake some cookies instead!! Yum ... sugar and butter!