Thursday, July 01, 2004

smartsouls

So, I'm a coach for this program that some friends of mine developed called "SmartSoul". It's a 6-week personal sustainability program that helps each individual take a look at how they can make small changes in their daily lives that will create a large impact on the sustainability of their lives and the planet.

I've been conscious of living sustainably for the past couple years and have made some efforts here and there, but having this extra encouragement has really helped me push past some of the lazy moments I tend to get stopped by.

The idea is not for people to make huge, immediate behavioral changes because, in reality, that's not sustainable - people get over the "high" and then forget they learned anything. No, it's about the little things. Accumulated little things making a big thing. That big thing is bigger'n you and bigger'n me.

This week, I have:

*changed my showerhead to a low-flow nozzle (works and still feels great!),

*been more mindful in the food purchases I make (looking at how things are packaged and buying more organic foods),

*paid more attention to when I use my car or not (and carpooling whenever possible if driving is necessary), and

*learned about all the recycling i can be doing besides paper, glass and food!

It's very rewarding and witnessing participants who have made significant shifts in the way they look at their lives is truly inspiring.

It's a real honor to have so many friends doing wonderful things in the world and it's often a challenge to not want to help everyone out. As it is, I'm a bit over-committed with all the roles I've taken, but it's fulfilling and fun.

The downside to SmartSoul is just how irritated I've become when I see people blatantly polluting the earth or unnecessarily wasting resources. I have to remember that the most powerful leaders lead by example. So not only am I here to do my part, but by doing my part I have to hope I can lead people to living more sustainable lives.

Besides, doing something is better than nothing.

The glass is definitly half-full. Mmmmm, tasty!

1 comment:

e said...

i usually print out your blog in large type and then read it as i drive to work in my land cruiser. and then sometimes the pages fly out the window while i'm talking on my cell phone. so then i need to print it out again.